The Community Response Fund has been established to achieve three main goals:
1) As a Foundation we are dedicated to supporting grassroots level work that feeds into our greater programmatic goals. We are seeking to connect local activities and place based organizations to the policies and organizations we support at regional and statewide levels.
2) We are aware of the need for a response to time sensitive or urgent opportunities that do not always match well with grantmaking deadlines. This fund increases our flexibility to respond.
3) We are on the look out for emergent issues and unique opportunities where we may not have made prior invesments.
The Community Response Fund is for grants up to $3,000. This is for work being done that enhances the greater objectives of our Growth Management and Aquatic Ecosystems programs. Please see our Aquatic Ecosystem and Growth Management Programs for more detail on these objectives, strategies and limitations. Community Response Funds may be used for the same uses we allow for our standard grants.
- All organizations that meet our general criteria are eligible for CRF grants
- Organizations that have completed a CRF grant may apply the following year for a standard grant or another CRF grant
- Organizations not selected for a grant may reapply in consecutive rounds
- Organizations that have current Standard grants may apply for a CRF on other work, separate from their current funding, as long as it meets CRF criteria.
- An organization may receive a maximum of three consecutive CRF Grants, and may not apply again for one calendar year.
- Small community organizations
- Applicants with a need for one-time funds for a discrete project
- Organizations piloting new projects seeking small start up funds
- Organizations facing an urgent issue that requires funding to address the emergency. Please note this is for a project need such as emergency litigation or an appeal – not an emergency budget shortfall
The Community Response Fund will be available three times a year. Deadlines to apply will be in February, June and October. Applicants to the Community Response Fund must use the same initial process as other applicants. Once staff has decided a request meets our criteria, you will be asked to submit a short application. Only if we feel we need more information will you be asked to submit supplemental materials. It is our aim to make the process as streamlined as possible. Decisions will be made within one month of the deadline.